fbpx

Follow Pure Health Hub

The Surprising Health Benefits of Sex

Close up of the feet of a couple on the bed
Image © sirtravelalot/Shutterstock

Why spicing up your sex life can improve your health and mental well-being.

G

reat sex doesn’t just feel good, it can boost feelings of intimacy and be a liberating experience for many women. But sex also plays an important part in our overall health and wellbeing, especially as we get older.

From reducing anxiety, to boosting immunity and lowering the risk of heart disease and cancer, whether you are part of a couple or resolutely single here are 8 science-backed reasons to amp up the orgasms … as if we need an excuse.

Sex can boost immunity

Sexual health expert, Yvonne K. Fulbright, suggests that “Sexually active people take fewer sick days,” and research has found that people who indulge in a little horizontal tango two times a week have higher levels of the immunoglobulin A, antibodies that help protect our bodies against viruses, bacteria and infections, than those of us who don’t. 

It can relieve headaches

Yep, you can bypass the paracetamol and get between the sheets, because a little hanky panky might be just what the doctor ordered. An observational study of found that 60 percent of migraine sufferers and 37 percent of cluster headache patients reported sexual activity led to a partial or complete relief from symptoms. 

It can reduce period pain

Swap the ibuprofen for an orgasm. Not only does it trigger pain killing endorphins, but an orgasm can also cause the uterus muscles to contract and release which can bring a little relief from the pain of period cramps. 

It’s a stress reliever

The feel-good chemicals  released during sexual intercourse – serotonin, endorphins and oxytocin – provide a natural way to relieve stress. Studies show that intimacy can buffer stress reactivity and reduces the cortisol hormones that are triggered in response to stress.

It burns calories

While a bonk break won’t burn the same calories as a gym session, it will increase your heart rate and activate several muscle groups. Depending on your cardiovascular endurance, you can burn an average of 69 calories per session, but the longer and sweatier the session, the more calories you’ll burn. Beats going for a walk! 

It can improve bladder control

Up to 38% of Australian women will be impacted by incontinence in their lives. Give yourself a greater chance of being in the remaining 62% by enjoying loads of orgasms. The contractions they cause give the pelvic floor muscles a good workout, strengthening them and reducing the likelihood of inconstancy later in life. 

It may help lower the risk of heart disease

Sex helps to raise your heart rate and lower blood pressure making it key to developing cardiovascular fitness of older adults. Some research suggests that people who get jiggy with it more than twice a week are less likely to develop heart disease than those who have sex less frequently. 

It improves sleep

There’s a reason we tend to get snoozy after good sex. Orgasm releases a hormone called prolactin, which makes your body relax which leads to easier and better sleepResearch also suggests that a lack of sleep is detrimental to libido and can cause people to lose the moodfor a session of intimate R & R. 

It’s good for your complexion

Who needs expensive skin products? The morning after “glow” is real! The endorphin rush from a little sexy time can reduce cortisol levels, assisting collagen production which assists in rejuvenating skin. Increased blood circulation also improves the flow of oxygen to the  skin, resulting in a banging complexion (if you’ll pardon the pun). 

This article provides general information only, and does not constitute health or medical advice. If you have any concerns regarding your health, seek immediate medical attention.

TOP

Subscribe to a monthly issue of world’s best practice from the world’s best practitioners in medical and holistic health. 

Subscribe Now